Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Mikey's New Spelling Skills

I have to take a quick break from studying for finals to throw this on here. Mikey has been very interested in spelling lately. He's starting to figure out his letters, and almost every time he says a word, he likes to tell us what letter it starts with. He's getting pretty good at it, so I was surprised the other day when he asked if I knew what letter "tree" starts with. I said, "yes, do you?" He said, "Yes. It starts with "J."" That threw me, so I proceeded to dig a little deeper. "What sound does tree start with?" I asked. He then enunciated, very clearly, the sound he thought was at the beginning of tree. When he says the word quickly and in a sentence, you don't really notice. In this little exercise, though, what I was hearing was a very clear "ch ... ch ... chree." We haven't gotten to putting two letters together to make a single sound, and "j" was the closest he could come to matching the sound to a letter he knew. Mikey's a "chreat" to have around.

1 comment:

Carol and Brian Moss said...

That actually works!