Sunday, May 24, 2009

I feel like such a mom

Mom, Mikey and Luke get in the car. Mom in the driver seat, Mikey in car seat facing forward behind driver seat, Luke facing backwards in the middle. Here is how it typically shakes down:

Mikey: Mom! Lukey is kicking me! Luke's foot is on me! Can you tell Luke to move his foot?!
Mom: Mikey, Luke is too little to understand.
Mikey: Tell Luke to stop! Tell Lukey to stop!
Mom: Luke, stop putting your foot on Mikey.
Mikey: His foot is still touching me!
Mom: Luke, please stop touching Mikey.

...moments later

Mikey: Ahhh!!! Lukey scratched me! Can you tell Lukey to stop scratching me!
Mom: Luke, stop scratching Mikey.

...moments later

Luke starts crying
Mom: Mikey...? What did you do?
Mikey covers his face
Mom: Mikey?!
Mikey: I just, I just put my foot up on him like this (Mikey puts his shoe up on Luke's head and face--again)
Mom: Mikey! Do not kick your brother in the face!

...moments later

Mikey: I don't want Luke's cup! He keeps putting his cup on me!
Mom takes away Luke's cup.

...moments later

Luke starts screaming
Mom: MIKEY! What did you do?!
Mikey silent
Luke still screaming
Mom: Mikey...? Did you hit Luke?
Mikey: I just, I just pushed him like this (poking Luke's face with his finger--again)
Luke still screaming
Mom: Mikey, stop touching your brother

Is there anything more mom-like then telling your kids to stop touching each other and to leave each other alone?

So Saturday morning, months of this finally broke me down. I had both kids in the car and went back inside to grab something. When I came back out Luke was crying... The result? Luke graduated early. Just one week early (and he's been over 20 lbs for months now). I couldn't handle them touching each other any more! Since Luke's car seat only works rear-facing in the middle...


...I turned him around!

I love seeing his cute little face in my rear view mirror now.


And he loves it, of course--being able to see where he's going instead of where he's been. And best of all, no more kicking, scratching and screaming.


Only problem is that he is much less reclined and so sleeping is not quite as comfortable. (But look how cute!)

1 comment:

Ang said...

Oh my goodness! Luke looks SO grown up! I can't believe he's almost a year!