Tuesday, June 16, 2009

FINALLY

SIGH...

Finally I made it through my long month of being a single mom while Lance worked in Lisbon.

And finally I got to go on vacation with Lance and only Lance (yes, no kids!)

And finally I made it back to Portugal after 7 years.

And finally I am posting our pictures from our trip!



As many of you know, Lance started out his summer this year by working at the biggest law firm in Lisbon for a little externship. I first agreed to this plan because we decided I would bring the kids over after two or three weeks and hang out there while he finished up his work, then we'd all tour around a bit. So plans were made. Then after much consideration we realized how much better it would be without trying to drag two little kids through 18 hours of flying and layovers and then all over Lisbon. This was, in fact, a much better plan. The one drawback was that my plan of 2 1/2 weeks alone with kids turned into 4! Oh well. I made it through and then got to meet up with Lance for a great vacation! So here we are. There are a lot of pictures here, all of which are of us just posing in front of different backgrounds. Sorry if they get boring after a minute.



We started off by visiting The Algarve since that was all we ever heard about as missionaries in the summer. Everyone kept telling me I should go to The Algarve! So we went. It was beautiful, though we didn't exactly have perfect weather. At least we got a little sun :)


We got to do a little diving while we were there. Aside from the cold water and nauseating water swells it was great.

This is in Silves in the Algarve--a cute little town with a castle (like most little towns in Portugal :) That's why they're so awesome)


Silves Castle entrance



Lance would have been quite useful in defending the castle...


...especially with THAT sword


You can't go to Lisbon without going to Sintra. Okay, well we actually didn't go into the biggest attraction, Palacio de Pena because it was too late and it was closing. But we have both been there so we went through the Moors Castle which was new to us both. It was very cool. We climbed the stairs of two very tall battlements. This is me at the top of one battlement--you can see the top of the other battlement we climbed and Palacio de Pena in the background.


Before the climbing began. See? I'm still smiling :)


Lance was really disappointed that they didn't have any sort of layout or description of what the castle had looked like before falling into ruin. He was pretty sure he got this one room right, though.


Trying to get in? Trying to get out? I don't know.


Just some room. We have lots of these pictures. Us standing in front of some ruined part of the castle. It was really cool to see, though.


See? More standing in front of ruined castle.


And still more....
But that's the last one I'll share. Just imagine more of the same of that stuff.


Of course we had to see the Torre de Belem. Cool as always.


This is what happens when you don't have more than two people in your party. Two pictures exactly the same with each person.


Descobrimentos--Lisbon's shout out to all the Portuguese explorers. Also always cool. BUT, what was different from the last time I was here was that we could go to the top!


And here is the view from the top. See that tiny person at the bottom of the map? That's me :) Lance waited at the top while I sprinted down... yes, I said sprinted...


The elevator was broken so we had to hike the stairs. The good news? It was half the price to get to the top. :)


And Jeronimos--what an amazing cathedral! I recently read a historical fiction novel (Pillars of the Earth) about cathedrals being built in the 11th century so I had a whole new appreciation for this (not that this was 11th century, I think it was 16th). It's amazing what they were able to build so many hundreds of years ago.



Gardens at Jeronimos


More gardens at Jeronimos.



This was right outside Lance's office. I just liked the little pond/stream, the trees and the statues.


Campo Pequeno. This is where they do all the Bull Fighting! Sadly, we missed being able to attend a fight by one day. Poor planning!


More cool pracas (squares) with cool fountains and statues.



This is the "shopping" district/center. Translation: lots of crap stores (you know the stores I mean--rows and rows of magnets, pens, figurines and mugs and all that stuff that magically changes from souvenirs into crap as soon as it enters your home) and restaurant owners chasing after you with a menu.


And this was our last day. It just so happened that one of Lance's colleagues at the law firm was also a pilot and had some connection to the right people to be able to schedule a little flight for us with less than a day's notice to take a little tour over the coast. So we did it! It was the first time for both of us up in a small private plane.


The view was amazing! Of course pictures don't do it justice, but we got a lot of these anyway.

I thought of my dad the whole time and wished he could have been there. (Back in the day he flew his own little plane) He would have loved the whole thing.


This was one of our cute pilots

And this was the other pilot. They were both so cute and nice.
Okay. All done.

8 comments:

Ang said...

Looks like fun! I'm so glad you got to go back!

Kirs:) said...

WOW Kristy what an amazing trip! I thought your pictures were all great! How cool to get a private plane tour as well:)

Katie said...

It looks so beautiful there!!

Unknown said...

That looks awesome! I'm so jealous of your vacation. Although I'm not so jealous of the 4 weeks of being apart. That would not be as much fun.

smlaw said...

So fun! Glad you are both back safe and sound. Now if only we could just get back there so we could hang out!

Ana Margarida G. V. da Cruz said...

oh que pena não te ver, eu agora moro mesmo perto de Lisboa, Barreiro logo no outro lado do Rio Tejo... vão voltar um dia? fiquem bem, abraços!

Ana Margarida G. V. da Cruz said...

OH tenho pena de não vos ter visto, e agora que moro bem perto de Lisboa, barreiro no outro lado do Rio Tejo... bem paciencia.. voltam um dia? fiquem bem, abraços!

marissa moss said...

this all looks so fun!!
i want to be back in portugal right now please!