Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Luke Turns One!!!

Luke actually turned one almost a month ago, but Lance was in Portugal so we waited to celebrate until after we got back from our trip.
This last month Luke started to point at things and people he wants. He also started to stand straight up in the middle of the room by himself. Taking any steps is still a little too risky for him. But he stands up and down all day!

He can also finally go down stairs by himself! (Yay! No more crawling up the stairs then crying until he's rescued.) What's funny is that when he first started to do this, we got all excited and praised him and clapped and all that stuff. Well now, weeks later, Mikey's enthusiasm has failed to wane even the slightest bit. Whenever Luke starts to back down the stairs, Mikey yells and yells until I come, "MOM! Come look! Luke is going down the stairs all by himself! MOM! Come see!" What a good, proud big brother.


Luke, like most little kids, is quite enamored with all cell phone and controller looking things. And don't try to take it away or you'll hear about it!

You know how moms know their own babies' cries? You know, the one for I'm hungry, I'm tired, I'm sad.... Well Luke has some of his own distinguishable screams. The most distinguishable one is the scream meaning "Mikey just took something out of my hands!" If you ever need to interpret his screams, it's the one that sounds like he has slammed his fingers in a door. Once he gets his hands on something, he screams at the top of him lungs when it's taken away. Mikey has been pulling stuff out of his hands from day one. Suddenly he's realizing he doesn't like it! So don't take anything out of his hands unless you're ready for the screaming.


And finally the party! It was only two weeks late.



Lance calls Luke his little bear, thus the bear cake.



It was quite a tasty cake!


But don't ask Luke.

This was the product of sitting around for awhile trying to get him to touch the cake. Then trying to put some in his mouth. Then finally pushing his hand into the frosting and putting it in his mouth. None of that succeeded in getting any into his mouth. But he did like rubbing the frosting all over his face!


Finally a few presents.


Of course I don't think Luke actually ever touched the wrapping paper.
Happy Birthday, Luke! We love you!











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how big they are. hope you all are doing well. I am really enjoying your blog

smlaw said...

He's looking so grown up!! Cute cake-you are so good at your cakes and the cupcakes to match. I wish we could have been there. Only 5 more weeks here though!