Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Wisdom of a Five-Year-Old

I currently have a five-year-old, and he is very, very wise. Much wiser than I was, I’m sure. But his wisdom is not the wisdom to which I am referring.

27 years ago I was five years old. I started kindergarten with my best friend Ashley. I still remember my first day and for many, many years have chuckled at the first conversation Ashley and I had inside those doors.

We sat just inside those doors in the entry way/mud room and proceeded to say things such as, “Can you believe how old we are?!” “I can’t believe we’re in kindergarten.” “We are so old!”

For so many years, I have thought about how silly and funny we were. I have been wrong. Tomorrow my baby is starting kindergarten. All these years, the grown-up me has been wrong. I'm realizing that those five-year-old little girls actually knew a thing or two. They were right. Five is so old and so grown-up. I can’t believe my baby is so grown-up and starting kindergarten. (He has started to tell me, "mom, I don't want you to cry!" Tough cookies, kid. It's happening 'cause that's how I roll.)

Good luck, Mikey! We are so excited for you!

2 comments:

Ang said...

Yay! He's going to have SO much fun and you will be fine - even if you cry :) I can't believe he's so old!!!

Ashley said...

Awesome memory! Eliot starts kindergarten next week and I'm amazed I'M the one that's so old!!