Now and then we take the kids to the pet store as kind of a quick and easy zoo-like visit. We did this recently. Before getting out of the car, we gave the whole, "we are only doing this if you promise not to ask for pets." (I know, silly to think that speech would actually make any difference.)
Before I continue, I should explain one thing. I love dogs. I'm not against having dogs and will one day consider it. BUT, my rule is that only when our last child is potty trained can we talk. (There are various reason for this, some are for the benefit of the child, some the benefit of the dog...and some for the benefit of MOI!)
Anywho, back to my story. So of course, we enter the store and the kids start in on asking for pets. Luke was asking for all sorts of pets. And of course, the mother-load of all pets is the dog. And of course, the humane society was camped out with a few cute little things there up for adoption (which we were trying to save from Joey and his attempts at ripping their ears off--one of the afore-referenced reasons for waiting on the dog).
So Luke started pouting even more and begging for a dog. I started trying to explain to the boys that we just can't have a dog right now, because we don't have the room with the little kids in our house and with the baby coming, blah, blah, blah.... Then Luke looked up at me with the biggest puppy-dog eyes I've ever seen and said, "Pleeease, mom, can't we get a dog?" It was the hardest "no" I've ever given! But I did it, I said no. Then he put his head down and mumbled, with his grumpiest, poutiest fact, "I don't WANT a baby. I want a dog!"
Ohhhh geez! One day I hope he'll change his mind about that! (But I accept that it may be awhile.)
10 months ago
2 comments:
Your stories are absolutely PRICELESS!
Your stories are absolutely PRICELESS!
Post a Comment