Well after what has seemed like the longest 3 weeks EVER, we are in Utah and in a house and finally getting settled. It's been an adventure, that's for sure.
Starting at the beginning of March, we were getting very anxious about getting our house rented with enough time to move before I got too pregnant. So three weeks ago, as the end of March was approaching and we still didn't have any renters, we started looking into just moving without our house rented just so we could get moved. We had worked out a plan and were about to buy me a ticket when we stopped and decided we didn't feel sure about it.
After a long (wonderful) day in Orlando going to the temple we both felt very strongly that we should just wait until our house rented. With a big sigh, we agreed we'd just wait. Well we showed our faith so then we didn't have to wait long! We got home late that evening and our broker called moments later with news of a renter. It was amazing.
After a week of packing, I was on the plane with Mikey. Mikey being just under two, he was still a lap child...blessing? curse? We saved money at least :) It was rough having a lap child with my lap quickly disappearing. Especially with the middle seat on the first flight!
We got into Utah at midnight and I was to go find my father-in-law's car in the economy parking lot. But what a surprise, my parents had called Brad to come and help me with my bags! Exhausted and Mikey half asleep, we found the car and found the hidden key. With a sigh of relief I started the car and thought, "I made it." I then got out to help load the bags. I shut the door and for some reason still unknown to all, the doors all locked! So with my purse and phone in the car and the car running, we were locked out the car. If Brad hadn't been there, I would have been without a phone, locked out with Mikey in the freezing weather at 1:30 am! After some time and phone calls to those with keys (by the way, that whole unlock your car through the phone thing does NOT work), we finally tracked down a security guard who called an officer for us.
Well for Lance, the fun had only just begun. He and his dad continued to pack for a few more days and pulled out of Florida on Friday. After a few minor traffic moments, things seemed to be going rather well. That is until....Wyoming >:[ Does anything good come out of Wyoming? They got to Cheyenne on Sunday night and were planning to push through a little longer, but were forced off the road due to weather. We were crossing our fingers that the roads would be open in the morning.
They left the next morning with the roads being open until Laramie and hoped they would be opened by the time they got there. Lance called me a while later with great news as they passed through Laramie! We thought, "yay, he'll be here soon!" He then called a little later....he was stopped again and didn't know why. After sitting completely still for four hours they managed to pull over and get off at a service station. There they found out that there was a huge accident that was not likely to be cleaned up that day. They had to drive BACK to Laramie and spend the night there. Sigh. I was going to cry.
So the next day we thought for sure the roads would be opened. How long does it take to clear an accident? Well when a gas truck burns to the ground and they have to resurface the road, a long time! They just had no idea when the road would be opened. By late morning they were formulating another route--a 12 hour route! (I-70 was also closed due to weather so they couldn't go that way either.) So they were off to get breakfast and then likely start on the long route home. Low and behold, the lights had been left on in the moving truck and they had no battery. Sigh.
As you can imagine, it takes something special to jump a 26' truck. So a few hours later, they had power and now needed lunch. Well in the middle of lunch they finally got word--the road was open!!! If it hadn't been for the battery dying they would have likely started along the long route home, but because they were forced to wait, they were still there when the road opened.
So! 6 hours later they finally rolled in and it was the best ever! Lance and I had to rush out to see our landlords because they had been holding their house for us to rent just because they liked me and wanted good renters. They had been putting off this other guy for days because they wanted Lance to see it before signing. But we did it. We signed and we moved and here we are!
A million thanks to everyone who has helped us to get here. We couldn't have done it without you all!
Once we get our main computer up and running maybe I'll find some pictures to post.
10 months ago
4 comments:
Kristy, I love your blog! Wow, that is quite the story. I'm sorry it was such a disaster to get to Utah. It's a good thing you wrote it down so you can laugh about it later. :) We miss you guys! I'm sad I didn't get to say goodbye before you left. I'll definately look you up the next time we go to Utah.
Kristy, I love your blog! Wow, that is quite the story. I'm sorry it was such a disaster to get to Utah. It's a good thing you wrote it down so you can laugh about it later. :) We miss you guys! I'm sad I didn't get to say goodbye before you left. I'll definately look you up the next time we go to Utah.
Hey Kris! Glad you survived! I was in Utah for conference weekend, but man was it short and packed! I'll be there Memorial Day weekend (through the following week), so maybe we can get together then? I realize you'll be about ready to deliver (or if you're lucky, maybe a little early?), but I'm planning to be there longer so I can actually see people!
And Lance, what a trooper! That trip sounds like a really bad dream!
hey dont know if you remember me from the Riverview ward! congrats on the new baby and good luck in Utah!
Post a Comment