Mikey has finally done it! He's made the transfer into his big boy bed. Isn't it a perfect fit? Obviously he'd have more room if the dogs didn't sleep with him, but they all just love it so much that we couldn't forbid it.

If only we could get them to settle down enough to sleep!

Okay, so actually the dogs aren't the biggest fans of this whole box game, but Mikey just insists on them joining him. Poor Willie is just pleading with us to take her out!

But in all seriousness, Mikey really has made the change to his big boy bed! He was very excited about it which was good because we wanted him to move out of his crib a while before the new baby needed it so that he didn't feel kicked out. He has loved his bed from the start. Sleeping, however, has been another thing entirely. It was a bit of a struggle at first. For the first few nights Lance or I had to lay with him until he fell asleep or else he was just hysterical. (I know, maybe we should have let him cry it out, but we're suckers.) Naps were also a bit touch and go. We tried skipping them (NOT a good idea for this kid). All sleeping was pushed back--late naps and late bed time (well, late falling asleep time.) But after about a week he was doing much better. Now he cries for just a minute when we get up to leave his room, but he lays back down immediately and doesn't make another sound. And his bed and nap times are slowly moving back to earlier and earlier. We're so proud of him!

It also took him a little while to figure out that he could sleep with his head up on the pillow and it would greatly improve his comfort level. But hey, as long as he's asleep, he can sleep however he wants!

So I have to admit one last thing. The whole time we were buying his new bed stuff and getting it set up, I thought for sure I would be all emotional about "my baby" growing up and taking this big step. I really wasn't feeling anything, though. I was just excited and he was so cute about the whole thing that I loved it! Even when he crawled into bed the first night--nothing. So we finally got him to sleep that first night and stepped out of his new room. As we closed the door, I caught a glimpse into the baby room next door and saw the empty crib...I started bawling. What can I say. I'm a baby.
3 comments:
Well told story, Kristy, it made me cry! Honest. Sure wish we could have been a part of it.
Congratulations to Mikey! Poor dogs..
I love the box bed! He doesn't need pillows or anything in there. He looks so cute all tuckered out in his bed. Way to go Mikey!
I just showed Brooke and Caleb the pictures of the dogs and now they are begging to go to Emmy's house. LOL Congrats Mikey on the big boy bed!
Post a Comment